Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Movie Stars and Reactive Attachment Disorder

Today was another day like yesterday, so no great thoughts.

I did, however, find this...

Katherine Heigl apparently admitted here that she has experienced attachment issues with her daughter from China.

I would love to hear more. I have always wondered about ...you know, Angelina Jolie, Madonna, Sandra Bullock, Meg Ryan, etc. No one ever really admits to any issues.
Maybe if you have a nanny for each child you don't notice it so much.
Not sure how that works for the kids.
I have to admit, I have been curious for a long time!

Anyway, wouldn't it be nice if someone famous stepped up as a spokesperson for Reactive Attachment Disorder and raising traumatized kids!

I'll keep hoping.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to disappoint you but the newspaper who claimed she made those comments is in fact Germany's biggest gossipnewspaper and they feature false interviews frequently. This is no exception.

    And I don't think having a nanny will make it a different experience for the other famous ladies you mentioned. That's kind of rude imho. If they choose to keep things private, that is their business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane,
      Thank you so much for your comment. You may have caught me not checking sources!

      About the nanny thing, I am definitely not being rude. I don't mean that having a nanny would take away the loss and pain. It's just, what I wouldn't give for a few extra hands some days!

      And, I get the privacy thing. We so often get judged by our children's behavior and adjustment. Still...

      Anyway, thanks for reading and for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. It WOULD be nice...but I can't help but think that God is raising up people with voices to talk about RAD through the regular-old Janes He choses to bless in this journey. Like YOU ;) My fear is that these Hooolywood stars wouldn't point people to the TRUE healer of all things attachment disorders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracie!
      Just 'met' you, but I missed you.

      True words.

      I guess I think that some famous exposure would educate the general public and maybe ... legitimize? Just wrote this after a conversation with my 15 yo's school and of course, "she is so bright, maybe it's (me)." Argh. I might have been a bit frustrated!

      I want a spokesperson to convince people so I can do my real work! :)

      Delete
    2. You are right about that...there needs to be a general education done. I get so tired telling teachers, Sunday school teachers, AWANA volunteers, coaches, babysitters all the ins and outs of RAD, ODD, PTSD and general child from a broken place kind of stuff.

      Hmmmmmm...I feel a blog post coming on about this :)

      Glad you are back to writing!

      Delete